* You will need to be at least 20 years old or older (finishing your second year post-high school heading into the the summer.)
* You will be working very long hours.
* You should have previous experience working with Jewish teens.
* You will see most but not necessarily all of the sites and attractions featured on the tour.
* You will receive a salary as compensation for your hard work.
* You will have a fun and challenging summer serving as a role model for teens.
* Responsibilities will include guiding and supervising participants, overseeing activities and night programs, leading sessions and generally helping the tour to run smoothly.
* You must be an observant Modern Orthodox Jew who is sincere about their commitment to Judaism.
* You MUST be able to attend meetings and training sessions before the summer in the NY/NJ area.
* We usually have many applicants competing for a limited number of spots.
* You can increase your chances of securing a position by being open to doing more than one program.
* Having participated on an Achva tour in high school is not required but a nice touch.
* All counselor applicants will require an interview and multiple references. Interviews will be conducted via an online video call.
The Head Counselor, or Group Leader, is overall responsible for the operation of the tour, supervising the counselors, and guiding the participants. He/She will work non-stop during the tour to ensure a safe, healthy and productive environment for all participants and staff. This job requires extensive experience successfully guiding travel tours and working with Modern Orthodox high school students.
The technical coordinator, TC, is in charge of tour logistics including coordination of all non-food aspects of the program. These include coordinating medical care for participants when necessary, purchasing supplies, interfacing with hotels and many other areas of logistical operations. The TC needs to be comfortable driving long distances and handling stressful situations as they arise.
The tour Rabbi will be responsible for all the spiritual aspects of the tour including overseeing the davening, learning sessions, and other Jewish content. He will answer kashrut and general halachic questions. He will serve as a religious role model and be comfortable discussing Haskafic and halachic topics with individual kids as well as give shiurim. Smicha or close to it, as well as experience working with Modern Orthodox high school students is a must.
Achva needs talented people to provide our food services on various tours. The people serving in these positions will coordinate or assist with strictly kosher meal service, including serving, cleaning and purchasing food. Prior food service experience is required, preferably in a travel setting.
If you are interested in one of these non-counselor positions, please give us a call or send us a resume. We are usually looking for some of the above positions, especially in the Fall or Winter. Positions fill up early, so the sooner you apply the better your chances.